Interview format of a Management Consulting position
The speaker in the video Jessica Gourdet has given a clear picture of the Interview format of a management consultant in Accenture. She has faced rounds of interviews.
- The 1st interview is an extensive interview in the beginning. The recruiters ask you about yourself like who you are your career goal, etc. The interview call comes just after you put your resume in the company and the recruiters give a call to know your career expectations and all that. This interview is typically 30 minutes interview.
- After the 1st round of interview, the recruiters call for the 2nd round, and this interview is observational one. The recruiters invited the speaker for dinner with few executives like managing directors, a senior manager from both the client and the organization side. Here they typically observe how you are approaching the client, manipulating them. What types of conversation you are bringing and how you are interacting in public.
- After that, the speaker invited for the 3rd round of interview called Case Interview. It is also some behavioral interview. It gives you an idea about what the firm will provide you and your career expectations. They give you a case and will watch how you analyze the description, the details what has given to you. How you priories the points and brings the solution from that. This interview is very important, and many people are getting prepared for the interview. They make themselves using books and draw an issue tree; some pencil works to reach their solution. It is kind of your real mindset up an interview.
- And lastly, the 4th one is the final round of interview. Here the recruiters mainly talk about how life will be in Accenture, your benefits, your expectations, are you willing to travel. Your salary expectation and this is the interview where you ask the question to the organization. This interview is confirmation interview, and you can think you will be offered the position very soon.
The recruiters also watch how you are handling the situation in pressures, how your behaves in some unusual cases and what solution you are coming.
5 most common and challenging interview questions for a Management Consulting Position
The speaker in the video briefly explains the kind of questions she faces in those above mentioned 4 round of interviews. As per her different person can have a different set of problems.
- The 1st question she faces is what is the previous work experience as she has done marketing and is doing consulting for social media. How her experience is tangible for this role, and one has to be quantifying his/her impact. You have to give both positive and negative implications. They put you in a critical situation like in a particular position the client, and the organization is not matching with their way of the solution than as a consultant how you will manage the case to reach the decision. It is a challenging question.
- The 2nd question is what your future career goals are. The speaker in the video faces a situation where is questioned by an executive who is not only 10-20 years of experience; he is from a different era as he was working by the time she was born. It is a critical question of checking your mindset; thinking can differ. She makes her position clear by answering that she wants to manage 3-4 projects parallel as a project consultant.
- The 3rd typical interview question she faces in the case interview. And there is no right or wrong in the answer. At times the organization sees your approach to the problem of how you are moving. In her case, she has a question like a company has many call centers and they want to cut down the revenue – what will be the solution? You have two options – add more call centers or cut down a few of them. Also, you have to be clear with your picture of thinking. You have to figure out what is the best answer is. And this is how this question is hardest as you have to prove your answer is the best and final solution for the situation.
- Another question is how your life would be in Accenture.
- The speaker finds it is a difficult question when they ask for your expectation. This question is different for everyone as we have a distinct personality. Depending on your family, years of experience you can get a high salary. At the same time you concern is of the company benefits, but you can't ask them right on their face.
3 resources to aid in Management Consulting interview
The speaker guides about the resources in terms of books, websites, and blogs to prepare for management consulting interview. The speaker has mentioned the book name "Crack in the case," but as per her Google is the best place to prepare you. She searches for a different firm and what is the research they have done and published. You will get the idea, product strategy and the solution the company using, etc. Also, you can go by EY blog. Google is the platform you will find the statistics, your profile details, the companies' research, and their industry, product, etc. So in this manner, you are using their evidence in the interview. As an example you have questioned about the ride-sharing of train, and you already know their research on that with the results published in an article. So you know the answer, and it makes you a step ahead.