Software Engineer II, Backend (Java)
Hulu is a premium streaming service that offers premium originals, current season TV, a massive library of hit series and movies, and live television. Disney+ is the Disney-branded streaming service featuring an outstanding collection of content from its brands and franchises recognized and respected all over the world including Star Wars, Marvel, Pixar, Disney, and NatGeo. Our combined Disney and Hulu team is looking for hardworking team players to join the Content Experience Delivery team, who will thrive upon the legacy of Disney and Hulu, embrace unconventional thinking, and who are passionate about contributing to The Walt Disney Company's direct-to-consumer (DTC) experience through strategic hard work and determination.
The Content Experience Delivery team builds systems that provide data at scale to teams across Disney Streaming. We implement reliable, high-request services that deliver data that helps power user experiences for Disney Streaming clients including Hulu, Disney+, Star+ and ESPN+, across web, mobile, and living room devices. We are looking for a software engineer who wants to build and operate these critical services that support all Disney Streaming users.
We're a fast-paced, dynamic, collaborative and fun team, and looking forward to finding out more about you! Responsibilities:
You'll join a hardworking group of engineers who build and manage edge-facing orchestration services - powering Disney Streaming clients running on smart TVs, smartphones, gaming consoles, FireTV, Apple TV, Roku, and others.
We're passionate about data - just like you! You'll apply your experience with technologies to construct distributed, large-scale services that provide data from a variety of backend services to our viewers Basic Qualifications:
- 2+ years of related experience crafting large-scale, highly available services.
- Strong programming skills in Java, Kotlin, or other object-oriented languages, and a strong grasp of computer science fundamentals (data structures, algorithms, databases, etc.)
- Experience building RESTful, RPC, or GraphQL services.
- Experience using source control systems and CI/CD pipelines.
- An ability to work both independently and collaboratively.
- A broad perspective on problem-solving.
- Strong communication skills and a desire to share your knowledge with team members and others at Disney Streaming.
- Experience deploying and scaling within a cloud infrastructure.
- Experience directly managing and mentoring a team.
- Deep experience designing and building solutions with NoSQL databases and messaging systems.
- Experience with Docker, containers and Kubernetes.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science (or related field) or equivalent work experience
Location: Seattle, WA; New York, NY; or Remote. Must be willing to work Eastern Time hours as needed.