We're Cruise, a self-driving service designed for the cities we love.
Were building the worlds most advanced, self-driving vehicles to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving vehicles will help save lives, reshape cities, give back time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
Cruisers have the opportunity to grow and develop while learning from leaders at the forefront of their fields. With a culture of internal mobility, there's an opportunity to thrive in a variety of disciplines. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed.
If you are looking to play a part in making a positive impact in the world by advancing the revolutionary work of self-driving cars, join us.
The Embedded Systems Team develops the first layers of software on the car, from interfacing with hardware, to moving large amounts of data up the software stack. We are looking for a Senior Embedded Software Engineer who will be responsible for designing, documenting, and implementing robust low level device firmware, boot loaders, and application development environments, and APIs on RTOS-based systems for next generation High Integrity/Safety software based devices. This is a unique opportunity to write foundational software on which the rest of Cruise builds upon.
What youll be doing:
- Write high performance and high integrity software running on various RTOS and microcontroller based components
- New board bring-up in collaboration with our Hardware R&D team
- Work with RTOS vendors on BSP development and verification of new hardware platforms, which includes defining the required peripheral drivers and the safety case for each peripheral
- Develop low level bootloaders, RTOS firmware, Hardware Abstraction layers, and OS Abstraction layers in C and C++ to interface the Cruise autonomy stack with the sensors and next generation hardware on the vehicle
- High performance driver development and tuning for networking, storage, data movement, network time protocols, and hardware I/O
- Library, framework, and build system development to enable application software work
- Collaborate with colleagues across multiple teams and mentor other developers
- Effectively participate in teams planning, code reviews, KPI reviews, and design discussions leading to continuous improvements in these areas
What you must have:
- 5+ years of experience writing production software
- Strong C programming skills with good understanding of real-time systems. Should also be able to program in modern C++
- Board bring-up for ARM Cortex-M and R core based systems
- Bootloader development experience
- Writing drivers for networking, I/O, storage, or high-performance data movement
- Experience with Embedded build systems, such as make, Cmake, Bazel
- Experience working with various hardware interfaces like I2C, SPI, UART and ADCs
- Knowledge about firmware security, secure communication, TLS and encryption/decryption
- Experience with CAN and LIN protocols
- Experience working with RTOS like Greenhills u-velOSity, FreeRTOS, SafeRTOS, or ThreadX
- Experience working with ARM Cortex M and R core based microcontrollers
- Experience with Rust, Python, and one or more of the following: Buildroot, Yocto, OpenEmbedded, OpenWRT
- Experience with safety critical development (FDA, FAA, Automotive)
- Experience with embedded Linux and hypervisors
- Our benefits are here to support the whole you:
- Competitive salary and benefits
- 401(k) Cruise matching program
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- One Medical membership
- Subsidized mental health benefits
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Healthy meals and snacks provided for non-remote employees
- Paid parental, jury duty, bereavement, family care and medical leave
- Fertility Benefits
- Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account, subsidized by Cruise
- Flexible Spending Account
- Monthly wellness stipend
- Pre-tax Commuter Benefit Plan for non-remote employees
- CruiseFlex - a working policy for US-Based Cruisers that lets you and your manager find what working style is best for you, whether its primarily in-person, primarily at home or a combination of home and in-office time.
- Were Integrated
- Through our partnerships with General Motors and Honda, we are the only self-driving company with fully integrated manufacturing at scale.
- Were Funded
- GM, Honda, Microsoft, T. Rowe Price & Walmart have invested billions in Cruise. Their backing for our technology demonstrates their confidence in our progress, team, and vision and makes us one of the leading autonomous vehicle organizations in the industry. Our deep resources greatly accelerate our operating speed.
- Were Independent
- We have our own governance, board of directors, equity, and investors. Our independence allows us to not just work on the edge of technology, but also define it.
- Were Vested
- You wont just own your work here, youll have the potential to own equity in Cruise, too. We are competing in a market that is projected to grow exponentially, which gives our company valuation room to grow.
- Recurring Liquidity Opportunity (RLO) - a unique equity program where employees, both current and former, have the option to sell any amount of their vested equity on a recurring basis, currently quarterly.
Cruise LLC is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to create a supportive and inclusive workplace where contributions are valued and celebrated, and our employees thrive by being themselves and are inspired to do the best work of their lives.
We seek applicants of all backgrounds and identities, across race, color, ethnicity, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or parental status, or disability. Applicants will not be discriminated against based on these or other protected categories or social identities. Cruise will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, in accordance with applicable laws.
Cruise is committed to the full inclusion of all applicants. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process please let our recruiting team knowor email [email protected]
We proactively work to design hiring processes that promote equity and inclusion while mitigating bias. To help us track the effectiveness and inclusivity of our recruiting efforts, please consider answering the following demographic questions. Answering these questions is entirely voluntary. Your answers to these questions will not be shared with the hiring decision makers and will not impact the hiring decision in any way. Instead, Cruise will use this information not only to comply with any government reporting obligations but also to track our progress toward meeting our diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging objectives.
At Cruise, were tasked with leading in the communities we serve and doing our part to help keep our communities and our teams safe. Our #StaySafe culture transcends and informs all we do, and because of this, as of October 31, 2021 Cruise will be mandating COVID-19 vaccinations for all US-based Cruisers who need or want to access any of our US Cruise facilities and engage in any business travel including attending any in-person Company-sponsored event.
If you are unable to get a vaccine due to a medical condition, disability, or a strongly-held religious belief, Cruise will consider requests for an accommodation.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.