Barnes & Noble Education (BNED) is a leading provider of higher education and K-12 educational products and solutions with a mission to serve all who work to elevate their lives through education. Our Digital Student Solutions group designs and develops innovative student-facing products and services to support all users through their learning journey,most notably our hero product bartleby.
Bartleby is a direct-to-student digital learning platform and a suite of services which currently includes Bartleby Learn, a STEM focused homework help via millions of step-by-step explanations to textbook problems as well as 24/7 access to experts to assist with homework Questions & Answers, and Bartleby Write, a virtual writing center to help with grammar, spell, citation and check for plagiarism. (visit us at bartleby.com!)
Our fast-growing Bartleby team is seeking a Product Manager who will be focused on growing our core Bartleby product by expanding our product capabilities, launching new product services and driving increases in traffic, subscribers and revenue.
In this role youll report directly to our VP, Product Management and have an opportunity to lead us on the next step of our journey and help in delivering our product mission to be a core homework help utility for students so they can receive the homework help they need along their academic journey while working with one of the leading brands in education at the cutting edge of defining the student experience. You will have an opportunity to define the future of education and help positively impact the lives of millions of students.
We believe there are the core skills every successful product manager should possess, and are critical to this role:
1. Strategic Thinking Understand the user needs, competitive offerings, and market opporutnities. Help find and prioritize high potential ideas to work on. You guide the team to ensure we are asking the right questions and subsequently solving the right problems.
2. Product Technicals Understand the essential functions of the technical systems, that are the building blocks of our products such as search, personalization, CMS, ecommerce paymemts, SEO, 3rd party APIs, and cross-channel applications (web + mobile).
3. User Science & Empathy Employ user science to identify high potential user problems and successfully evaluate a products user impact. Spending time with our users is important. Being able to understand how they feel and empathizing with them helps make accurate decisions with rough precision. Analyzing and measuring users to understand them accurately with high precision is truly a science with Qualitative and Quantiative tools to decipher Intent from Action.
4. Collaboration Help our team perform at a high level internally and across the wider organization. You exhibit leadership and emotional intelligence to help your team work well together and achieve a high performing state. You have the ability to identify and defuse or better avoid unnecessary conflict, while proactively promoting productive conflicts focused on ideas and getting to better answers.
5. Communication Ensure that others successfully understand what they need to know. You help keep internal and external team members updated with product documentation, emails, chats, etc., and in meetings and presentations.
Heres what youll be doing:
- Drive product discovery and definition of new product features in your focus area. Deliver high-quality experiences, and contribute to company OKRs.
- Work cross-functionally to bring these new features to life, see them through launch, and post-launch optimization.
- Build great experiences that help students find the help they need and become and integral part of their academic journey from high school to higher ed.
- Lead a development team through every phase of the product process: product discovery, wireframing, testing, development, launch, and optimization.
- Assess opportunities, present hypotheses, synthesize findings and share next steps with stakeholders to help drive product solutions through the full product lifecycle.
- 2+ years experience in product management, shipping consumer- and internal-facing products.
- Strong sense of ownership and accountability, to see initiatives through, from end to end
- Attention to detail, balanced with a pragmatic sensibility of how to plan and prioritize. Deliver outcomes over outputs.
- Strong communication skills, able to convert ambiguity into simplicity and provide clear direction
- Technical profieciency, understanding of how web and software products work
- Working knowledge of UX and usability principles
- Working knowledge of quantitative tools (analytics, A/B testing) and qualitative (user research)
- The curiosity to understand why, both in terms of customers needs and internal priorities.
- Bachelors Degree in related fields preferable (e.g.Computer Science, Data Human Interaction Design, Business, Finance, etc.) or equivalent experience.
Barnes & Noble Education, Inc. is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer committed to diversity in the workplace. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status.