At American Family Insurance, we believe people are an organization’s most valuable asset, and their ideas and experiences matter. From our CEO to our agency force, we’re committed to growing a diverse and inclusive culture that empowers innovation that will inspire, protect, and restore our customers’ dreams in ways never imagined.
American Family Insurance is driven by our customers and employees. That’s why we provide more than just a job – we provide opportunity. Whether you’re already part of our team in search of a new challenge or new to our company and ready for what’s next, you’re in the right place. Every dream is a journey that starts with a single step. Start your journey right here. Join our team. Bring your dreams.
R31036 Sr. Reinsurance Underwriter (Open to Remote) (Open)
Compensation may vary based on the job level and your geographic work location.
Compensation Minimum:$103,500 Annual
Compensation Maximum:$165,700 Annual
Responsible for advanced underwriting analysis and account development on new and existing non-standard personal auto quota share reinsurance business. Evaluates submissions received from reinsurance brokers for acceptability and determines pricing structures and other terms and conditions in accordance with corporate reinsurance guidelines and within given authority levels. Uses advanced knowledge and expertise of personal auto (preferably non-standard auto) insurance and/or reinsurance to support management in setting the strategic direction of our assumed non-standard auto reinsurance business. Develops and cultivates relationships with a range of brokers and carrier and MGA partners to ensure profitability of the portfolio. Medium travel required.
Reinsurance Underwriting (45%)
- Evaluates ceding insurance company`s financial standing, operational strategy, and industry trends to determine whether to accept the risk, and if so, under what terms for both renewal and new business.
- Performs exposure and experience analysis on highly complex new business by combining knowledge and experience with available information on ceding insurance companies. Assesses the customer/broker request and determines acceptable coverage that addresses the customer`s critical insurance and service needs.
- Assesses proposed structure, the ceding insurance company`s operations and anticipated hazards, losses, expenses, financial strength, loss experience, and other underwriting considerations applies knowledge of probabilities of attachment and limit exhaustion, changes in exposure amounts, locations and concentrations, rating plans, loss trend and inuring reinsurance, develops acceptable participation and pricing thresholds that meet or exceed target returns, and has accountability and ownership of account underwriting recommendations.
- Evaluates treaty contract and contract language, and manages documentation workflow. Ensures the contract outlines the risks, intended coverage, and other fields required specific to the contract within given authority limits.
- Completes all required steps on account set up, documentation, and account management.
Account Management (25%)
- Meets with brokers and clients regarding new and evolving assumed reinsurance markets.
- Recommends program participation that achieves desired business goals, including long term profitability.
- Collects, maintains, develops, and documents data related to the assumed reinsurance portfolio. Evaluates quality of data that can be ambiguous, incomplete, or irrelevant.
- Interacts with clients, brokers and others during pre-renewal season, submission process, audits, and midterm changes for treaty accounts.
- Partners with internal business partners, clients and brokers to coordinate claims and accounting activities.
- Performs client audits as necessary to ensure cedents` business processes align with terms of contract and American Family`s business objectives.
Assumed Reinsurance Account Development (15%)
- Evaluates, analyzes and supports new and evolving assumed reinsurance markets consistent with company objectives and risk appetite. Researches and identifies problems that assumed reinsurance customers face in financing risks and formulates multiple creative solutions to address gaps, risks, and opportunities.
- Develops and cultivates highly effective business relationships with assigned brokers as well as internal and other external clients in order to attract, develop/grow and retain profitable business for the segment.
- Applies findings to corporate and industry trends influencing operational objectives to Assumed Reinsurance operations. Recommends complete solutions to leadership. Acts as a subject matter expert on reinsurance industry and markets.
Project Management (15%)
- Manages assumed and ceded reinsurance projects of varying complexity, including cross divisional teams, and/or multiple concurrent projects with complex resource interdependencies, with ultimate responsibility for successful project delivery.
- Drives collaboration in cross divisional project teams, establishes project scope, develops project plans, determines member accountabilities, and establishes milestones and stoplight reporting to assure project completion.
- Reports project team efforts to the stakeholders to assure consistent communication continues among the project team and their sponsors.
- Five plus years of experience in reinsurance underwriting, broking and/or non-standard auto.
This position may be considered for a Full-Time Remote or Hybrid work arrangement based on the selected candidate’s location. We know flexibility is important to our employees and their families, and we will continue to offer flexibility in this flex office/home role. This approach will guide us in balancing the needs of the business, customers and our employees.
Preferred locations for this role include:
Madison, WI; Chicago, IL; Boston, MA Minneapolis, MN; Denver, CO; Phoenix, AZ; Nashville, TN; Atlanta, GA
- Other locations and remote work may be considered
Specialized Knowledge and Skills Requirements
- This position requires travel up to 25% of the time.
- Demonstrated experience providing customer-driven solutions, support or service
- Demonstrated experience analyzing complex financial statements, hazards, coverage, losses, pricing terms, and competitive positions.
- Demonstrated experience communicating and presenting complex global treaty findings and recommendations to internal and external contacts.
- Demonstrated experience managing and leading large, complex projects.
- Demonstrated experience working with reinsurance brokers and ceding insurance companies to successfully create new reinsurance business opportunities.
- Demonstrated reinsurance experience underwriting new business, retention and other goals.
- Solid knowledge and understanding of the global reinsurance industry, its market, regulatory constraints, judicial climate and consumer activism.
- Solid knowledge and understanding of advanced financial and statistical analysis techniques including actuarial techniques.
When you work at American Family you can expect benefits that support your physical, emotional, and financial wellbeing. You will have access to comprehensive medical, dental, vision and wellbeing benefits that enable you to take care of your health. We also offer a competitive 401(k) contribution, a pension plan, an annual incentive, and a paid-time off program. In addition, our student loan repayment program and paid-family leave are available to support our employees and their families. Interns and contingent workers are not eligible for American Family Enterprise benefits.
We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.
Stay connected: Join Our Enterprise Talent Community!